A few days ago I found a post that had some amazing motivational debt free quotes. I immediately decided to find some quotes to share with my readers.
The quotes are from politicians, ministers of religion, philosophers, etc. It is my hope that these quotes will go a long way in motivating towards the goal of a debt free life.
Because of easy access to debt in the western world, a lot of people are now deep in debt. We had debts for almost anything, from cars, chairs, appliances, etc.
We sometimes take up new debt unnecessarily when we can easily pay by cash.
I read somewhere that American consumers owe about 13 trillion dollars and a good number are struggling to repay their debt. If this situation continues we could end up with another financial crisis soon.
The reality is that easy access to debt has caused many of us to live a life we cannot afford.
It should be the goal of anyone to avoid debt and where we have a debt to seek to clear it as soon as possible.
When you are employed and earning money, it easy to forget that you have debt. It is only when you lose your job and the creditors are calling that you realize that you had borrowed too much.
Related Post: 60 Inspirational Challenge Yourself Quotes
Debt Free Quotes
Below are some of the debt free quotes that I have managed to find for you all.
- “Never spend your money before you have earned it.” – Thomas Jefferson, 3rd Presiden
2. “Debt leverages the future and obligates us to submit to its demands from our position of financial weakness” – Sabbath School Lesson.
3. “There must be strict regard to economy or a heavy debt will be incurred. Keep within bounds. Shun the incurring of debt as you would shun leprosy.”—Ellen G. White, Counsels on Stewardship, p. 272
4. ‘We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much.’ – Ronald Reagan.
5. “To contract new debts is not the way to pay old ones.” – George Washington, 1st President of USA.
6. “Citizens should practically bear in mind that towards the payment of debts there must be revenue; that to have revenue there must be taxes; that no taxes can be devised which are not more or less inconvenient and unpleasant.” – George Washington.
7. “As an individual who undertakes to live by borrowing, soon finds his original means devoured by interest, and next to no one left to borrow from – so it must be with a government.” – Abraham Lincoln, 1843.
8. “The privilege of creating and issuing money is not only the supreme prerogative of Government, but it is the Government’s greatest creative opportunity. By the adoption of these principles, the long-felt want for a uniform medium will be satisfied. The taxpayers will be saved immense sums of interest, discounts and exchanges. The financing of all public enterprises, the maintenance of stable government and ordered progress, and the conduct of the Treasury will become matters of practical administration. The people can and will be furnished with a currency as safe as their own government. Money will cease to be the master and become the servant of humanity. Democracy will rise superior to the money power.” – Abraham Lincoln
9. “Money won’t create success. The freedom to make it will” – Nelson Mandela
10. “Do not judge me by my successes, judge me by how many times I fell down and got back up again/” – Nelson Mandela
11. “Debt is the slavery of the free.” – Publilius Syrus
Related Post: Fear Of Spending Money
12. “What God may have enabled me to do is but a repayment of debt, and he who repays a debt deserves no praise.” – Mahatma Gandhi.
13. “Debt is the worst poverty.” Thomas Fuller.
14. “After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb” – Nelson Mandela.
15. “There is no passion to be found playing small. In settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living” – Nelson Mandela.
16. ” Happiness lies not in the mere possession of money. It lies in the joy of achievement, in the thrill of creative effort.” – Franklin D Roosevelt.
17. “The more you learn, the more you earn.” – Warren Buffett.
18. “No holiday should manipulate you to the point where you’re going into debt just to show someone you love them.” Jim Carrey.
19. “The sum which two married people owe to one another defies calculation. It is an infinite debt, which can only be discharged through eternity.” – Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
20. “Many people take no care of their money till they come nearly to the end of it, and others do just the same with their time.” – Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
21. “A promise made is a debt unpaid.” – Robert William Service.
22. “You must gain control over your money or the lack of it will forever control you.” Dave Ramsey.
23. “A hundred load of worry will not pay an ounce of debt.” – George Herbert.
24. “Everyone can rise above their circumstances and achieve success if they are dedicated to and passionate about what they do.” – Nelson Mandela.
25. “May your choices reflect your hopes, not your fears.” – Nelson Mandela.
26. ” I just wanted to make a million dollars. But I couldn’t sing and I couldn’t play ball, so I said to my mother, ‘How am I going to make a million dollars?’ And she said to me, ‘Son, if you believe you can do it, you will.'” – Chris Gardner.
27. “Investing is important, but get debt-free first. That’s what frees up your income so you can win.” Dave Ramsey.
28. “Financial peace isn’t the acquisition of stuff. It’s learning to live on less than you make, so you can give money back and have money to invest. You can’t win until you do this.” – Dave Ramsey.
29. “Success doesn’t come from what you do occasionally. It comes from what you do consistently.” Marie Forleo.
30. “The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is servant to the lender.” – Proverbs 22:7.
31. “A healthy and debt free living person is the richest and the happiest.” Sushmitha Maddula.
32. “Home life ceases to be free and beautiful as soon as it is founded on borrowing and debt.” – Henrik Ibsen.
33. “You still need to save but being debt-free in retirement is and should be a goal.” – Michelle Singletary.
34. “Never spend your money before you have earned it.” – Thomas Jefferson.
35. “If you have debt, you have to worry about it. I would challenge each of you to try to be debt-free.” – S Truett Cathy.
36. “The only man who sticks closer to you in adversity than a friend is a creditor.” – Unknown.
37. “Many more people could ride out the storm-tossed waves in their economic lives if they had their year’s supply of food…and were debt-free. Today we find that many have followed this counsel in reverse: they have at least a year’s supply of debt and are food-free.” – President Thomas S. Monson.
38. “I have two amazing things in my life: I’m pain free and I’m debt-free.” – Stephen King.
39. “We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.” – Winston Churchill.
40. “They who are of the opinion that money will do everything, may very well be suspected to do everything for money.” – George Savile.
41. “If you make financial sacrifices now, you will be set up for success later.” – Rachel Cruze.
42. “Modern slaves are not in chains, they are in debt.” – Anonymous.
43. “In this world it is not what we take up, but what we give up, that makes us rich.” – Henry Ward Beecher.
44. “Have you ever thought about the fact that when you are in debt, you are a slave to the person you owe the debt to?” – Lauren Greutman.
45. “A credit card allows you transcend time. For it allows you to put off until tomorrow what you bought today, while you are still paying what you bought yesterday.” Robert Morrissette.
46. “Better to go to bed hungry than to wake up in debt.” – Proverb.
47. “Never give up. Today is hard, tomorrow is worse, but the day after tomorrow will be sunshine.” Jack Ma.
48. “Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.” – Earl Nightingale.
49. “The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.” – Lao Tzu.
50. “Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy.” – John Bugle.
51. “The past is already in debt to the mismanaged present. And besides, contrary to what you may have heard or learned, the past is not done and it is not over, it’s still in process, which is another way of saying that when it’s critiqued, analyzed, it yields new information about itself.” – Toni Morrison
52. “A promise is considered as a debt, the liability to pay it back depends on one’s morals.” – Imam Ali.
53. “Start where you are, use what you have, and do what you can.” – Arthur Ashe.
54. “When purchasing depressed stock in troubled companies, seek out the ones with the superior financial positions and avoid the ones with loads of bank debt.” – Peter Lynch.
55. “No one is useless in this life that lightens the burdens of another.” – Charles Dickens.
56. “It’s not your salary that makes you rich, it’s your spending habits.” – Charles A Jaffe.
57. “Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.” – Jim Ryun.
58. “The simple fact that is hard to learn is that the time to save money is when you have some.” – Joe Moore.
59. “Beware of little expenses; a small leak will sink a great ship.” – Benjamin Franklin.
60. “Worrying is like paying debt you don’t owe.” – Mark Twain.
61. “The starting point of all achievement is desire.” – Napoleon Hill.
62. “An example of a good debt is the debt on the apartment houses I own. That debt is good only as long as there are tenants to pay my mortgages. If tenants stop paying their rent, my good debt turns into bad debt.” – Robert Kiyosaki.
63. “Don’t stay in bed, unless you can make money in bed.” George Burns.
64. “I invested all my money in debt.” – Hamish Linklater.
65. “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” – Dave Ramsey.
66. “Things may not be perfect, but work hard enough and it’ll pay off in the end.” Boss Babe.
67. “No man is rich enough to buy back his past.” – Oscar Wilde.
68. “The most important thing to do if you find yourself in a hole is to stop digging.” Warren Buffett.
69. “When you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this – you haven’t.” – Thomas Edison.
70. “Success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm.” – Winston Churchill.
71. “Rather go to bed without dinner than to rise in debt.” – Benjamin Franklin.
72. “Money is a tool. Used properly, it makes something beautiful; Used wrong it makes a mess.” – Bradley Vinson.
73. “In a world awash in debt, power shifts to creditors.” – Fareed Zakaria.
75. “Everyone wants to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down.” – Opra Winfrey.
76. “Become so financially secure that you forget that it’s payday.” – Unknown.
77. “One day, in retrospect, the years of struggle will strike you as the most beautiful.” – Sigmund Freud.
78. “You must do the things you think you cannot do.” – Eleanor Roosevelt.
79. “Balancing your money is the key to having enough.” – Elizabeth Warren.
80. “The only thing people hate more than losing money is the person who lost it for them.” – Unknown.
81. “Never never give up.” – Winston Churchill.
82. “Money can’t buy friends, but it can get you a better class of enemy.” – Leo Rosten.
83. “Money doesn’t change you – it reveals who you are when you no longer have to be nice.” – Unknown author.
84. “Debt is a prolific mother of folly and of crime.” – Benjamin Disraeli.
86. “Setting goals is the first step in turning the invisible into the visible.” – Tony Robbins.
87. “Every accomplishment starts with the decision to try.” – Zero Dean.
88. “Starting strong is good. Finishing strong is epic.” – Robin Sharma.
89. “Money is flat and was meant to be piled up.” – Scottish proverb.
90. “A business that makes nothing but money is a poor business.” – Henry Ford.
91. “Without a struggle, there can be no progress.” – Frederick Douglass.