I have of late revived my interest in reading quotes from famous people on the internet. Today I am going to share some funny quotes about greed and selfishness that I found on the internet.
We have all seen the impact greed and selfishness can have even on an advanced economy like America. It was greed and selfishness that led to the last financial crisis when greedy bankers took advantage of deregulation to engage in risky transactions.
As a result of this financial crisis, there was a severe economic recession that led to millions losing their jobs because of a few greedy banks.
Below are the greed and selfishness quotes.
1. Greed is a strange, strange sin. All you want to do is acquire. Acquire money, acquire material, acquire time, acquire energy, acquire attention. The running mantra is “I want, I want, I want” but that quickly turns to “I need, I need, I need.” – Fisher Amelie.
2. “Earth provides enough to satisfy every man’s needs, but not every man’s greed.” – Mahatma Gandhi.
3. “As long as greed is stronger than compassion, there will always be suffering.” – Rusty Eric.
4. “Selfishness and greed, individual or nations, cause most of our troubles.” – Harry S Truman.
5. “The greatest barrier to peace in our world today is greed and selfishness in the human heart. Individual greed opens the way to national greed. This leads to divisiveness and conflict among people and nations. Tragically, this has caused so much bloodshed and needless human suffering.” – Sun Myung Moon.
6. “He who wants everything every time will lose everything any time.” – Vikrant Parsai.
7. “Selfishness creates greed and greed destroys the soul.” – Zarina Bibi.
8. “I believe all suffering is caused by ignorance. People inflict pain on others in the selfish pursuit of their happiness or satisfaction. Yet true happiness comes from a sense of inner peace and contentment, which in turn must be achieved through the cultivation of altruism, of love and compassion and elimination of ignorance, selfishness, and greed.” – Dalai Lama.
9. “Though many intellectuals, following in the footsteps of Saints Augustine and Jerome, hold businesspeople in contempt for their selfishness and greed, in fact, a free market puts a premium on empathy.” – Steven Pinker.
10. “Short-sighted men who in their greed and selfishness will, if permitted, rob our country of half its charm by their reckless extermination of all useful and beautiful wild things.” – Theodore Roosevelt.
11. “The Bible warns us against greed and selfishness, it does encourage frugality and thrift.” – Billy Graham.
12. “There is always human greed, the lack of solidarity, selfishness, which creates poverty. For this reason, it seems to me a little difficult to imagine a world without poverty…. But we must always struggle, always, always.” – Pope Francis.
13. “In the heart that harbors the weed of selfish greed, the flower of love cannot survive.” – Radhanath Swami.
14. “Hell has three gates, lust, anger, and greed.” – Bhagavad Gita.
15. “Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children’s children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches, or its romance.” – Theodore Roosevelt.
16. “It is a bitter irony to see people who can’t let go of someone or something for fear of emptiness in their life…yet their spirits are wasting away because they choose to hold on.” – Dodinsky.
17. “Perhaps when we find ourselves wanting everything, it is because we are dangerously close to wanting nothing.” – Sylvia Plath.
18. “Greed, selfish, ego when you get rid of these three Life will show you these three love, kindness, humanity.” – Confused soul.
19. “A selfish person is one who cares only for their own pleasure, even if it causes pain to someone else. They have no consideration for anyone else, and worry only about their own comfort. Selfish people are well mannered and nice to everyone, but they’re nice only as long as they get something more back in return from the people around them.” – Calvin Dillard.
20. “A motto of many politicians, public servants, and money bags: Ask not ‘What can I do for you?’ but ‘What can I do you for?” – H M Forester.
21. “Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” – Oscar Wilde.
22. “Money doesn’t change men, it merely unmasks them. If a man is naturally selfish or arrogant or greedy, the money brings that out, that’s all.” – Henry Ford.
23. “As time goes on we get closer to that American Dream of there being a pie cut up and shared. Usually, greed and selfishness prevent that and there is always one bad apple in every barrel.” – Rick Danko.
24. “I am a greedy, selfish bastard. I want the fact that I existed to mean something.” – Harry Chapin.
25. “Greed and selfishness do seem to be central motivators of mankind.” – Raymond Khoury.
26. “The reason for the simplicity isn’t disdain for uniqueness, as the other factions have sometimes interpreted it. Everything – our houses, our clothes, our hairstyles – is meant to help us forget ourselves and to protect us from vanity, greed, and envy, which are just forms of selfishness. If we have little and want for little, and we are all equal, we envy no one. I try to love it.” – Anonymous.
27. “The inescapable fact is that when we build a society based on greed, selfishness, and ruthless competition, the fruits we can expect to reap are economic insecurity at home and international discord abroad.” – Tommy Douglas.
28. “… Mother Nature is punishing us, …, for our greed and selfishness. We torture her at all hours by iron and wood, fire, and stone. We dig her up and dump her in the sea. We sink mine shafts into her and drag out her entrails – and all for a jewel to wear on a pretty finer. Who can blame her if she occasionally quivers with anger?” – Pliny, Pg. 176
29. “Pride has traditionally been regarded as the foremost of the Seven Deadly Sins, but it has rather obviously been overtaken by Greed.” – James Carlos Blake.
30. “There are many things that we would throw away if we were not afraid that others might pick them up.” – Oscar Wilde.
31. “The 20th century has been marked by cynicism, selfishness, greed, and the desire to please, all without changing the status quo. In the 21st century, we must resurrect solidarity and compassion.” – Oscar Arias.
32. “We’re all basically made of the same stuff: generosity and selfishness, goodness and greed.” – Madeleine M Kunin.
33. “The age of selfishness and greed is over. The age of kindness and generosity is underway.” – Laurence Overmire.
34. “When your child is a little older, you can teach him about our tax system in a way that is easy to grasp. Offer him, say $10 to mow the lawn. When he has mowed it and asks to be paid, withhold $5 and explain that this is the income tax. Give $1 to his younger brother, and tell him that this is “fair”. Also, explain that you need the other $4 to cover the administrative costs of dividing the money. When he cries, tell him that he is being “selfish” and “greedy”. Later in life, he will thank you.” – Joseph Sobran.
35. “Many people must be ruled to thrive. In their selfishness and greed, they see free people as their oppressors. They wish to have a leader who will cut the taller plants so the sun will reach them. They think no plant should be allowed to grow taller than the shortest, and in that way give light to all. They would rather be provided a guiding light, regardless of the fuel, than light a candle themselves.” – Terry Goodkind.
36. “Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.” – Ecclesiastes 5:10.
37. “There will be selfishness and greed and corruption and narrowness and intolerance in the world tomorrow and tomorrow’s tomorrow. But pray God we may have the courage and the wisdom and the vision to raise a definite standard that will appeal to the best that is in man, and then strive mightily toward that goal.” – Harold Stassen.
38. “Selfish persons are incapable of loving others, but they are not capable of loving themselves either.” – Erich Fromm.
39. “I always said marriage should be a fifty-fifty proposition. He should be at least fifty years old, and have at least fifty-million dollars.” – Zsa Zsa Gabor.
40. “Life is not measured by how much you own.” – Luke 12:15, NLT.
41. “Education has now become the chief problem of the world, its one holy cause. The nations that see this will survive and those that fail to do so will slowly perish…There must be re-education of the will and of the heart as well as of the intellect; and the ideals of service must supplant those of selfishness and greed.” – G Stanley Hall.
42. “Selfishness so often is the basis of money problems, which are a very serious and real factor affecting the stability of family life. Selfishness is at the root of adultery, the breaking of solemn and sacred covenants to satisfy selfish lust. Selfishness is the antithesis of love. It is a cankering expression of greed. It destroys self-discipline. It obliterates loyalty. It tears up sacred covenants. If afflicts both men and women.” – Gordon B. Hinckley.
43. “When your kid is being selfish or greedy and you want to help them not be that way, you have to find a way to articulate it and inspire them.” – Louis C.K.
44. “I just don’t like greedy, indifferent, selfish lawyers. And there are not that many of them.” – Janet Reno.
45. “I am awfully greed; I want everything from life. I want to be a woman and to be a man, to have many friends and to have loneliness, to work much and write good books, to travel and enjoy myself, to be selfish and to be unselfish you see, it is difficult to get all which I want. And then when I do not succeed I get mad with anger.” – Simone de Beauvoir.
46. “Growing up is all about facing the fake, selfish, greedy people; losing the people you love the most crying alone in bed at night or bathroom; wish to find the true love and realizing that there is nothing like true love.” – Shruti Vala.
47. “When it comes to money, everybody is of the same religion.” – Voltaire.
48. “Greed, in the end, fails even the greedy.” – Cathryn Louis.
49. “I am selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can’t handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don’t deserve me at my best.” – Marilyn Monroe.
50. “If Pelagius had solved the problem of sin and human responsibility by arguing that humans are perfectly capable of doing whatever they want, Augustine solved it by saying that humans deliberately act against the good ideals that they don’t know and are selfish, greedy, lustful, stubborn, and proud. In his words, people are non posse non peccare, “not able not to sin,” because even the good things that we do are not out of love for God but for some lesser purpose.” – Justin S Holcomb.
51. “If we do not cling to riches, selfishness, or greed – then I believe we are getting closer to God.” – Daniel Ortega.
52. “We are weary of witnessing the greed, selfishness, and cruelty of “civilized” man toward the wild creatures of the earth. We are sick of tales of slaughter and pictures of the carnage. It is time for a sweeping reformation; and it is precisely what we now demand.” – William Temple Hornaday.
53. “For it is in giving that we receive.” – Francis of Assisi.
54. “We can’t play stupid hockey, dumb hockey, greedy hockey, selfish hockey. We have to put the team ahead of our personal feelings.” Terry Crisp.
55. “At the root of every form of ungodliness, injustice, nepotism, selfishness, every rivalry, and competitive jealousy, is the monster called greed.” – Sunday Adelaja.
56. “Great achievement is usually born of great sacrifice, and is never the result of selfishness.” – Napoleon Hill.
57. “It’s not about the fish; it’s not about the pollution; it’s not about climate change. It’s about us and our greed and our need for growth and our inability to imagine a world that is different from the selfish world we live in today.” – Jeremy Jackson.
58. “The Reagan-Bush years have exalted private gain over public obligation, special interests over the common good, wealth and fame over work and family. The 1980s ushered in a Gilded Age of greed and selfishness, of irresponsibility and excess, and of neglect.” – William J Clinton.
59. “Turn my heart toward your statutes and not toward selfish gain.” – Psalm 119:36
Related Post: Minimalism Quotes
I hope that you have learned something from these quotes that will help you to fight greed and selfishness that continue to affect us all. Life is a fight against these bad impulses.