You don’t have to be an adult to realize that if you are not careful you can easily be taken advantage of by people who are only interested in themselves. Therefore, as you manage your personal finances you need to be aware that not all people are interested in your welfare.
In the following paragraphs I share some interesting selfish people quotes to make your day.
34 Selfish People Quotes
- “Foolish, selfish people are always thinking of themselves and the result is always negative. Wise persons think of others, helping them as much as they can, and the result is happiness. Love and compassion are beneficial both for you and others. Through your kindness to others, your mind and heart will open to peace.” – Dalai Lama
Examples abound of people who only cared about themselves and ended up leading a miserable life. There is nothing to be gained by being a selfish person. The happiest people I have ever found are people who have devoted themselves to serving others.
- “Some selfish people.. They treat you nicely only when they think you are useful to them in any way. They care only about how they feel and will never care about your emotions.” – Anonymous.
What a terrible world it would be if all people were like this. The world would be a much different place if we all cared about others and their emotions. It would lead to less conflict between people and nations.
- “Almost every sinful action committed can be traced back to a selfish motive. It is a trait we hate in other people but justify in ourselves” – Stephen Kendrick.
Unfortunately that is the sad fact of life, we see selfishness in others but fail to see it in ourselves. And worse than that we justify it in ourselves too. I would suggest that we analyse our lives first before we start judging others.
- “Selfish people also tend to have victim mindsets…Their actions plant seeds of loneliness; then they cry upon the blooming.” – Steve Maraboli.
If you see yourself as a victim you will start retreating from society and be a lonely person and that can have disastrous consequences on your health. Man is a social being but when you are selfish people will start running away from you.
- “Marriage is just an elaborate game that allows two selfish people to periodically feel they’re not” – Paul Reiser.
I think marriage and raising a family will teach you to start thinking of others more as that is what you forced to do that when you have children. The love and care you have for your children will soon apply to others too. Family is the best school for sorting out our selfishness.
- “Selfish people never taste the real love, because they always look for someone better.” – Rudra.
Grass is always greener on the other side. Unfortunately when you go to the other side you will soon see other grasses there too. Maybe the focus should not be on changing our spouses’ behaviour but rather changing ourselves so that we can be good partners or spouses.
- “Selfish people are, by definition, those whose activities are devoted to bringing themselves happiness. Yet… these selfish people are far less likely to be happy than those whose efforts are devoted to making others happy.” – Bernard Rimland.
That is exactly what I have found too in life. The happiest people are those that work to improve the status of others. The most miserable are those who focus on themselves alone and no one else.
- “With fools, there is no companionship. Rather than to live with men who are selfish, vain, quarrelsome, and obstinate, let a man walk alone.” – Buddha.
Maybe it would be a good idea to work towards helping our friends be good citizens too.
- “Sympathizing and selfish people are alike, both given to tears.” – Leigh Hunt.
A very funny selfish people quote. I would prefer the tears of sympathizing person as they make the world a better place. The world is in need of such type of people.
- “There are many selfish people who are extremely original, then they take those pure ideas and use them to raise themselves up, that is an insecure move.” – Daniel Smith.
- “Supporting selfish people is a waste of time and energy! They will always find an excuse to blame you for their own mistakes!” – Abhishek Chauhan.
Do not be tired in doing good. Over time those selfish people will realise the folly of their ways and change. If you abandon them they will never learn to appreciate the help they get.
- “Intensely selfish people are always very decided as to what they wish. They do not waste their energies in considering the good of others.” – Quida.
Unfortunately the world is full of such people. The consequences are there for all to see in terms of war, division, racism and many other vices.
- “Like all truly selfish people, Kliemann believed the minutiae of his life must be fascinating to all.” – Ben Macintyre.
- “To love is to value. Only a rationally selfish man, a man of self-esteem, is capable of love – because he is the only man capable of holding firm, consistent, uncompromising, unbetrayed value. The man who does not value himself, cannot value anything or anyone.” – Ayn Rand.
I would not phrase it like Ayn Rand especially on the use of the term rationally selfish man. Loving others does not mean that you should hate yourself. All you need is a proper balance between loving yourself and loving others. Love others as you love yourself.
- “Jealousy is a passion typical to selfish people.” – Vissarion Belinsky.
Jealousy keeps from progress as your energies are focused on others instead of focusing on things that improve your situation.
- “Selfish persons are incapable of loving others, but they are not capable of loving themselves either.” – Erich Fromm.
Really true selfish people quote. We need to love other just as we love others as the good book says.
- “Selfish people are in a way terribly capable of great loves.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald.
Very funny selfish people quote. I like the phrase, “terribly capable of great loves”. May we all learn to fight selfishness and greed.
- “Being goal-oriented instead of self-oriented is crucial. I know so many people who want to be writers. But let me tell you, they really don’t want to be writers. They want to have been writers. They wish they had a book in print. They don’t want to gro through the work of getting the damn book out. There is a huge difference.” – James A Michener.
Having a goal is really important in life. They help you work towards something. Even if you don’t reach it you will reach somewhere.
- “A self-absorbed person only can see the faults of others but they are often color blind to their own.” – Unknown.
We are guilty of this. The difference is the extent to which we do it. Reminds me of a story I heard of a parent who summoned by her child’s school after the child stole a pen. During the course of the meeting the parent said I cannot understand why my child stole a pen as I could have gotten some pens from my workplace. Apparently he could not see that stealing from an employer is the same as what his child had done.
- “Selfish people can’t understand what compromising is in a relationship. Neither will they ever see why it’s necessary in a relationship.” – Aansa Gondal.
Most of the problems we have in families come about because spouses are not willing to compromise. If we learned to compromise most problems would be sorted out easily.
- “It’s usually the selfish people who are loved the most. They do what you deny yourself, and you love them for it. You give them your heart.” – Saul Bellow.
That is a sad reality of life that selfish people who happen to be very successful are feted. People worship success.
- “My father said there were two kinds of people in the world: givers and takers. The takers may eat better, but the givers sleep better.” – Marlo Thomas.
If you are always taking regardless of the consequences you will soon be on the look out for others may want revenge. And soon you will be having sleepless nights. That is what happens to the mafia. They end up with too many enemies.
- “Relationship aren’t designed for selfish people.” – Unknown.
That is really true, good relationship result from people who are willing to give and take. The takers don’t do well in relationships.
- “We are all selfish and I no more trust myself than others with a good motive.” – Lord Byron.
But without trust it will be very difficult to maintain any sort of friendships. We therefore have to force ourselves to trust others. Maybe sometimes we may have to trust but verify also.
- “Mean, untrustworthy and selfish people I thought I knew. Never before I met you, I realized that people could fake emotions deep down in their eyes too.” – Chitrakshi Singh.
The more reason we need to keep our eyes open even as we trust others. There are people who fake their emotions but that does not apply to every one else even in this world of sin.
- “Even a tiny bit of deceit is dishonorable when it’s used for selfish or cowardly reasons.” – Jeanne Birdsall.
Deceit is always bad regardless of the intentions. We need to avoid it at all costs. Our yes should yes and our no should be no. If we do it consistently people will begin to trust us and trust is what we need for any sort of relationships in this world.
- “Selfish people tend to only be good to themselves…they are surprised when they are alone.” – Shivani Kumari.
Another funny selfish people quote here. We all need to examine our lives and try to be good people. The world needs that.
- “When people cheat in any arena, they diminish themselves – they threaten their own self-esteem and their relationships with others by undermining the trust they have in their ability to succeed and in their ability to be true.” – Cheryl Hughes.
Cheating is never good. We need to make sure that our actions are as transparent and honest as possible. Cheating will destroy all the relationships that we build, for it will destroy all the trust that is there.
Let’s fight to be honest people in whatever we do, at work, or in the family. When you cheat it not affects those that you cheat but it also destroys you too. You will soon see yourself as less than valuable and that is a very slippery slope as it leads to all sorts of evils.
- “It is you who has to decide who stays in your life and who doesn’t. You will come across many people in your life. They will all have a purpose to fulfill. Some will teach you a lesson and some will leave your soul wounded. Some will love you for their selfish motives and some will love you unconditionally. Some will cheat you. lie to you and stab you in your back. Learn from the lessons life teaches you and don’t waste your time on people who are there in your life for their convenience and who never take you seriously. Don’t allow people to use you for their happiness. Just be strong and don’t let anything break you or leave you shattered. Choose the people whom you want in your life.” – Aarti Khurana.
This world is really a dangerous place and we all have to keep our eyes open all the time. Some may wish to take advantage of us. It reminds me of all these scams that we come across online. There are so many people online who are there to cheat people. Who want to scam you of your hard earned money. We therefore all have to be aware of that.
- “She’s done extending herself to people with arms that don’t reach like hers. She’s about to go rogue, transform, and be a little bit more selfish.” – Sylvester Menutt.
I hope that she continues to do good regardless of the consequences. Selfishness is never a good thing for anyone. Love is the solution to most of the worlds ills. Here I mean love that leads to action not just talk. Talk is cheap. Action is what we need.
- “My mom said something: ‘You can lie down for people to walk on you and they will still complain that you’re not flat enough.’ Live your life.” – Mature Gambino.
Another cool selfish people quote. I will however add that even though that is case, do not be weary in doing good. This world is in need of people who care and love others. Wo care enough to worry about their situation as if it was theirs too. Who care enough to make sure that as many people as possible have food and shelter.
- “When you have given nothing, ask for nothing.” – Proverb.
Sometimes we want to have something in return when we do good. That comes from a selfish spirit. When we give with our right hand, let not the left hand know it. Let’s do good because it is good to do so. When we give gifts let us focus on giving gifts to people who will not have the means to give back.
- “You can never win an argument with a negative person. They only hear what suits them and listen only to respond.” – Michael Watson.
Sometimes we all have to work towards seeing the positive things in life. If all we see are the negatives we will be living a miserable life. We will be complaining and whinning about the bad things that are happening in this world. While it is true that bad things are happening that is not all what is happening. Good things are happenning too.
And we neeed to open our eyes to the many good things that are happening. And the more we focus on the good things the more peace we will have in our hearts. And the more peace we have the more approachable we will be. More and more people will love to be in our midst.
- “I am convinced that the majority of people would be generous from selfish motives, if they had the opportunity.” – Charles Dudley Warner.
It is a difficult endevor to judge the motives of people sometimes but it is true that our generosity can sometimes be tainted by our selfish motives. We may give something for the sake of our image. We want people to see us as good people. It may be good for business sometimes. After all businesses are now judged by their generosity these days. It is therefore baked into their business consciousness.
These are all the quotes about selfish people that I could find. Please learn from them and “unlearn” some. This is because this is a mixed bag of quotes.