We live in a materialistic world where we are always looking for the next shiny object in town. And as a result, we end up piling on debt since most of the stuff we get is beyond our means.
Most of us cannot imagine leaving a simple minimalist lifestyle. The things that we buy are like our “drug.” We cannot imagine not buying the latest iPhone, car, etc. even though we do not really need them.
The danger of all this comes to light during a recession such as the one we are facing now when millions have lost their jobs and therefore cannot afford to pay back their loans.
We are alright with accumulating credit card debt just to be like other people. Getting the latest television sets, etc.
It is in thinking of all this that I came up with the following minimalism quotes.
- “Having more and more won’t solve the problem, and happiness does not lie in possessions or even relationships. The answer lies within ourselves. If we can’t find peace and happiness there, it’s not going to come from the outside.” – Tenzin Palma.
- “Identify the essential. Eliminate the rest.” – Leo Babauta
- “Collect moments not things.” – Paulo Coelho.
- “Minimalism is not a lack of something. It’s simply the perfect amount of something.” – Nicholas Burroughs.
- “Minimalism is about an intentional search for happiness.” – Melissa Camara Wilkins.
- “Minimalism is the intentional promotion of the things we most value and the removal of anything that distracts us from it.” – Joshua Becker.
- “Make things as simple as possible but no simpler.” – Albert Einstein.
- “I make myself rich, by making my wants few.” – Thoreau.
- “If one’s life is simple, contentment has to come. Simplicity is extremely important for happiness. Having few desires, feeling satisfied with what you have, is very vital.” – The Dalai Lama.
- “Minimalism is asking why before you buy.” – Francine Vay.
- “I’ve learned that minimalism is not about what you own, it’s about why you own it.” – Brian Gardner.
- “The secret of happiness, you see, is not found in seeking more, but in developing the capacity to enjoy less.” – Socrates.
- “There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind.” – C.S. Lewis.
- “Buy less, choose well, make it last.” – Vivienne Westwood.
- “Minimalism isn’t about getting rid of your stuff, it’s about focusing on the things you love about your life.” – Unknown.
- “Minimalism is the pursuit of the essence of things, not the appearance.” – Claudio Silvestrin.
- “I am a minimalist. I like saying the most with the least.” – Bob Newhart.
- “There are two ways to be rich: One is by acquiring much, and the other is by desiring little.” – Jackie French Koller.
- “Minimalism isn’t just one kind of music. Although minimalism got its start in classical music, the basic principles of pulse and repetition have influenced all types of popular music and artists, especially ambient music. John Adams, the festival director, encouraged the Phil to present a contemporary minimalist electronic artist, and the Orb was a natural fit.” – Adam Crane.
- “It depends on what kind of minimalism you’re talking about, ofcourse. I love both those artists – Brian Eno and William Basinski. I would say my minimalism references are early American minimalists from the 70s.” – Tim Hecker.
- “Don’t confuse simple living with an easy life. It’s simply where the adventure begins. It’s where we find purpose, and in turn, the capacity to find what makes us come alive.” – Rachelle Crawford.
- “Desiring less is even more valuable than owning less.” – Joshua Becker.
- “When given too many choices, people tend to worry that there’s something better out there than what they decided on.” – Fumio Sasaki.
- “Minimalism is simply a tangible way of prioritizing your life.” – Faith Janes.
- “A great principle of minimalism is using the minimum amount of resources, which accords perfectly with our present-day need for sustainability.” – Dr. Prem Jagyasi.
- “I think ‘TRON’ is a good example of minimalism.” – Thomas Bangalter.
- “He who buys what he does not need steals from himself.” – Swedish Proverb.
- “If you have clutter in your real life. Your tangible life. Then it really adds to the emotional clutter in your mind.” – Giuliana Rancic.
- “In a way, simplifying your life for vagabonding is easier than it sounds. This is because travel by its very nature demands simplicity. If you don’t believe this, just go home and try stuffing everything you own into a backpack. This will never work, because no matter how meagerly you live at home, you can’t match the scaled-down minimalism that travel requires.” – Rolf Potts.
- “It is the heart that makes a man rich. He is rich not according to what he has, but according to what he is.” – Henry Ward Beecher.
- “Fill your life with lots of experiences, not lots of things. Have incredible stories to tell, not incredible clutter in your closets.” – Marcandangel.
- “I’m a big believer in minimalism. Not materialist minimalism, although that’s part of it, but time and energy minimalism. The body is given only so much energy a day.” – James Altucher.
- “Minimalism is not a style, it is an attitude, a way of being. It’s a fundamental reaction against noise, visual noise, disorder, vulgarity. Minimalism is the pursuit of the essence of things, not the appearance.” – Claudio Silvestrin.
- “Three Rules of Work: Out of clutter find simplicity. From discord find harmony. In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.” – Albert Einstein.
- “Minimalism and sustainable living are ideals that many of us strive towards because we want to cause the least impact on nature and create opportunities in life to live more simply.” – Masa Ofei.
- “Minimalism is a more elastic concept than they think. You can have form and function. It can be simple, but also very layered.” – S. Russell Groves.
- “There is no greatness where there is not simplicity, goodness, and truth.” – Leo Tolstoy.
- “Digital minimalism definitively does not reject the innovations of the internet age, but instead rejects the way so many people currently engage with these tools.” – Cal Newport.
- “Life is really simple but we insist on making it complicated.” – Confucius.
- “I had a very different vibe then, I was very into minimalism. I was kind of obsessed with Helmut Lang and [Martin] Margiela.” – Rupal Patel.
- “My feeling is that minimalists are people who know what’s truly necessary for them versus what they may want for the sake of appearance, and they’re not afraid to cut down on everything in the second category.” – Fumio Sasaki.
- “I have my own definition of minimalism, which is that which is created with a minimum of means.” – La Monte Young.
Related Post: Pay Off Debt Or Invest?
So this marks the end of our minimalism quotes list from people all over the world. Hopefully, this will encourage you to consider the minimalist lifestyle..